Let your priests, O LORD God, be clothed with salvation... 2 Chronicles 6:41 (NRSV)
An Anglican Priest
The Anglican Communion is a worldwide association of Christian churches whose common bond is that they are all “in Communion” with the “See of Canterbury” (ie: the Diocese of Canterbury with its Archbishop). This church can trace a continuous history right back to Jesus Christ himself, although it formed a uniquely English character under the political and spiritual leaders of England, culminating in an official break with the Roman Catholic church in the 16th Century.
Anglicans recognize the three universal [or “Catholic”] types of ordained ministry: bishops, priests, and deacons. I am a priest, ordained as such in 1966.
Click here to explore some Frequently Asked Questions about priests in the Anglican Church. (eg. “How do I go about getting ordained as an Anglican priest?” “Is ‘Anglican’ the same as ‘Episcopal?’” “How do I address an Anglican Priest?” “What is it like being an Anglican priest?”...and more)
There is also a page of rarely asked or unusual questions that you may wish to explore as well. Click here to see it.
The following list comprises a variety of priesthood-related pages and links. Each one may give you some insight into this fascinating and demanding vocation:
- Four articles on the nature of priesthood
- A sermon given at an ordination of priests.
- – this sermon explores what it means to be a priest. Warning: watch for the sudden twist after the opening paragraphs!
- The day to day life of an Anglican parish priest – an essay.
- Reflections on the nature of pastoral ministry;
- – notes written at the end of 17 years serving in one congregation.
- Excerpt from a 1997 letter describing my life as a priest in Manitoba
- – was I busy because it was almost Christmas?
- An essay examining Vocation to the priesthood..
- “How do I know if I am called to be an Anglican priest?”
- Some of my favourite prayers and hymns.
- Some of my views on the thorny issues of our time.
- Various essays on Theology, Faith, and Ministry.
- A small collection of sermons.
- – some Sermons for Remembrance Day
- – a Christmas Sermon
“...things into which angels long to look!” - 1 Peter 1:12
- An article about reserving the Sacrament in an Anglican church.
- Links of interest to Anglicans, and Anglican clergy.
- Some parishes where I have served...
- – St. Luke’s, Winnipeg;
- – St.George’s, Crescentwood, Winnipeg;
- – St.Chad’s, Winnipeg.
(This comprehensive site is maintained
by Gil Frederick, a member of St.Chad’s.)